Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Musings from Seat 62F

Top Five Reasons Why the Back Row of the Plane is not Cool:

1. Forget about sleeping. The open area for your cabin of the plane is directly to your left and right, and behind you. People will congregate here throughout the flight and talk, ignoring your frustrated look of despair. No sleep for you.

2. The flight attendants will run out of Customs cards in English before they get to your row, sending you into a state of panic at the Customs area as you search frantically for the card you never got.

3. Your choices for dinner are meatloaf and meatloaf, the chicken teriyaki having run out somewhere around Row 50. Continuing this thread, don’t be surprised AT ALL when for breakfast you are given a hot turkey sandwich while your other flightmates are noshing on traditional breakfast fare.

4. The back row is at a slope, severely limiting your view of the movie screen to the top inch of the screen. And that’s only if you sit up fully in your seal while trying to stretch your neck an additional six inches.

5. There is NO doubt whatsoever that you will be the last one off of the plane. In fact, watch out for departing flight attendants, who will look oddly surprised at your being on the plane still. While waiting for the crowd to disperse, maybe it would be a good time to catch up on that missed nap from earlier!


This was what I looked at for the entirety of my 10.5 hour flight from San Francisco to Tokyo. I thought I was going to lose my mind! It became extra fun when that seat was reclined!

2 comments:

Palila said...

But sometimes, when you're the last one off the plane, you get offered a tour of the cockpit. http://www.flickr.com/photos/palila/2885696575/

Mickster said...

I wish they had offered me that instead of that meatloaf!
Cool pics! I wish I had been that lucky...but let me tell you, I was SOOOO ready to get off of that plane!