Monday, October 20, 2008

Deep in the Land of Fugu

Okay, to finish yesterday...we managed to get back on the train to Yamaguchi City with no problems. By that point, my feet were on fire. Yamaguchi has a famous legend about a fox who dipped his paws in a hot spring, and right behind the hotel was a hot spring area just for soaking one's feet. About six of us decided to hang out there. We had a blast! We talked to two Japanese teenagers and an older guy who was with them. We mainly talked about music. There was a definite language barrier. The real fun came when six Taiwanese came up to soak their feet. After deciding that we were cool because we had acknowledged that Taiwan was not part of China and was a country in their own right, they hung out with us. It was so much fun! They were on vacation, and somehow ended up in Yamaguchi. It's not real high on the travel radar in the US, so I am not sure what pulled them there. Still, it was nice to be able to talk to them and have fun. I am sure that we would have stayed there for hours, but at 10:00pm the hot spring closes so we had to go. I went back to my room, which wasn't near as nice as the New Otani in Tokyo. In fact, the whole place threw me off. I'm a little ashamed to admit that it took me a few hours to figure out how to flush the toilet. I am going to attribute that to being tired.

Fun stuff, though...on the way to the hotel from the train station, I passed a fugu restaurant. They even had a tank in the front window full of fugu swimming around. I wonder if it is like Red Lobster and you can pick out your fugu just as you would a lobster? Back in the room, there was a cracker wrapped in a sleeve decorated with a picture of fugu. Turns out it is fugu flavored. You could buy a whole box of fugu crackers in the gift shop, not to mention dried fugu and preserved fugu! I bought a fugu keychain and fugu shaped chocolates. I would have bought some crackers but they weren't that good!

Okay, today was our first full day out of Tokyo. We did all kinds of things, and as I am still exhausted and craving an early night in for once, I am going to move through this rather quickly. I probably won't even post pictures, so you will need to get over your disappointment pronto.

I got up and ate breakfast. Here's something I haven't talked about...scrambled eggs. I'm not exactly sure what is up with the scrambled eggs here. They lack shape and are a weird orangey-yellow color. It's not right, I am telling you. I haven't touched them yet, nor do I plan to. Breakfast was an international affair again, a combo of Western and Japanese. I did a little of both. Today was also the first day that I got a glimpse of natto. Natto is fermented soy beans. Okay, for one, I don't like beans. The fact that they are fermented makes me nauseous. And there aren't words to describe the smell...rest assured, I am not touching them. Sweet potato ice cream, yes...natto, no way.

We began our day at Yamaguchi University. It was a hot day, and the rooms are not air conditioned, so it was a little trying. We observed a music class and a physical education class. The cool part of the university visit was sitting down to talk with students at the university. The language barrier was pretty obvious at first, but after a while you don't notice it...you just find a way to communicate through other means. I drew a fantastic map of the US to point out where Indiana was. My student, Eriko, had never heard of Indiana but she knew about the Kentucky Derby, so I was able to explain where I lived by referencing that. We also got some gifts at the university. We received a tote bag and a little collection of cards that had paintings of famous landmarks in Yamaguchi City. Very nice.

After a BIG lunch, we got on the bus for an hour drive to Sanyo Onoda. I fell asleep. I was a bit disappointed that I did because I wanted to catch the scenery on the way in, but I was just wiped out. When I woke up we were about 15 minutes from Sanyo Onoda City Hall. We had a courtesy visit with the mayor. He was a very nice man, but he spoke for 45 minutes. It was very long. We did introduce ourselves to him in Japanese, and afterward he came up to me and shook my hand and told me that I spoke very nice Japanese. I only saw him shake a few hands, so that made me happy that he would single me out. For the record...Watatashi wa Indiana no Emily Micky desu. "I am from Indiana and my name is Micky Emily." Cool, eh?

We then toured a sake distillery. That was fun! They weren't actually making sake at the moment...they don't start until November...but we got to learn about the entire process. We were then invited into the owner's home to sample sake and relax! How cool is that? I had two types of sake (the first tasted like rubbing alcohol, no joke), but the second was good. They also served us wine that they had made, and that was good too. It was a fun experience, and before you ask, they were samples. They were not full drinks. I am fine.

After making it to the hotel, I joined a group that went out for dinner with two city officials. We went to a yakitori restaurant, and I ate a TON. There was food everywhere! Tempura, yakitori (grilled meat on skewers), edamame, this delightful fried rice and cheese thing...very very good. We ate in a tatami room, and we were there for several hours. It was so much fun! I am glad that I went. Several chose not to, and I think that they made a huge mistake.

Now, I am headed to bed. I am worn out!!! More to come tomorrow...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is Fugu?

Anonymous said...

By the way, I could look that up however that's what I have you for.

jhauswal said...

I'm noticing a trend in the description of your days in that you eat "a ton", "a lot", etc. I'd love to taste the fried rice and cheese. Perhaps the scrambled eggs have a type of cheese or fruit that makes them orange; I think you should try them. How awesome that you got to have a dinner (albeit long) with a local dignitary. I also think it's great that you are a less touristy area; this must give you a far more accurate idea of the local culture. As for the typos and a few grammatical errors, I realized I should let these go as I will have to face you again some day when you return to the states. Two requests: talk a little about the weather compared to here and give more pictures!

Mickster said...

Mart, fugu is blowfish, and if it isn't prepared correctly, can kill you through slow paralysis of the body. You have to have a license to prepare fugu, and anymore the only fugu-related deaths come from people who try to prepare it on their own.

Jeff, I am eating like a pig, but it is all good food, and with very few exceptions, healthy for you. Not sure about those eggs...and quit picking on me about grammar and typos. Generally when I am writing, I fall asleep at the computer. I'm out of it, and you're being mean. I'll try to get some pictures up, but it does take a while...I''m trying, I'm trying!

MOM said...

So, by soaking your feet in the hot spring, did it make your feet feel better?

So, you just don't pull the handle down? Explain!

So, did you eat fugu? And, what did it taste like? Do you eat on the floor

What is a tatami room?

Mickster said...

I haven't tried fugu yet. I am looking for a place. If it isn't too expensive, I am going to try it, but if it is really cheap, I'm not going to try it either because they may have just rushed it. You have to be careful with that stuff! A tatami room is a traditional Japanese room with the straw mats. The room we ate in last night was tatami, but we didn't have to sit on our knees (thank goodness) because it had a little well under the table where you could put your feet.
The hot spring felt fantastic on the feet. I wish we had one at home!
The toilet handle was hidden behind the toilet. Hard to see. Once I found it, it was easy!

-- Roasted Bean said...

Mmmm, tempura! You know I like beans, but that Natto stuff? Even I, think I would pass on those. The stringy parts remind me of some sci-fi horror flick. Curious to what sake is like and/or comparable to here. I would think its in the starch family.

Maybe you need a trip to West Baden Springs when you return for your aching feet.