Sunday, October 19, 2008

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y, hey!

Okay, so Friday night I was exhausted. I blogged and went to bed early so that I could get up and be ready to go at 6:30 Saturday morning (I'm writing this on Sunday). I actually woke up at 5:15...I had asked for a wake-up call the night before, and I did something rude. It was an accident. You know how most hotel wake-up calls are now automatic? I assumed this one was as well...turns out that it was a live person. I hung up on her thinking it was a recording, so they called back. What's more, they apologized for disturbing me, but I had asked for a wake-up call and they wanted to make sure that I was up, if that was okay. I love Japan.

I ate breakfast...this time at another resturant that served both Western and Japanese breakfast. It was bizarre to have omelets, miso soup, and corn at the same breakfast (yes, I said corn), but I made it. A group of us met up at 7:20 to go to Kamakura. Kamakura was an ancient capital of Japan, is located on the coast, and is known for the giant statue of Buddha (the Daibutsu). It was kind of touristy in places, but overall it was a really nice trip. I was a little bummed at times because I was on a tour, and that didn't allow for a lot of flexibility. But, you win some, you lose some. The views were stunning, the temples and shrines were amazing, and I felt that it was nice to be out in the countryside. I am going to post a group of pictures here for you to see what I was up to. I like to include them in as I write, but I am tired and want to make sure that I get in as much as possible!


First tea ceremony...it was informal, but was still pretty cool. They gave us cookies in the shapes of pigeons to eat before we drank the tea to offset the bitterness. Wasn't bad, wasn't bad... I look pretty terrible here. There seriously isn't a good one of me from this day. I essentially look drugged, but really it is the fact that I was EXHAUSTED. I am sleeping around 5-6 hours per night, which isn't enough.



This little girl and boy were celebrating their third and fifth birthdays at a temple in Kamakura. Girls celebrate their third and seventh birthdays, and boys their fifth and seventh. There were MANY kids dressed in traditional Japanese clothing at the temple. Very cute. The little girl looks unhappy, but understand that there were about a thousand American teachers pointing cameras at her. She's flashing the peace sign, so all is well. The little boy was completely unimpressed with us.



The group at the Daibutsu.


That's right...I finally had a bottle of the infamous Pocari Sweat. It was really quite good despite its unfortunate name. It kind of tasted like it had a grapefruit flavor.


On the Shinkansen (bullet train) with Tammy and Cindy. This sucker was fast! We made it from Shin-Yokohama to Tokyo in about 18 minutes.

More about Kamakura and Saturday:
1. Lunch was huge. I can't begin to identify all that we ate, but let's just say it was a lot, and since I walked over 7 miles on Saturday, I don't feel so guilty about it. Salads (two types), soba noodles (extremely good...I could have sat there all day and ate them), pizza, edumame (steamed soybeans), breaded chicken cutlets stuffed with some kind of fish eggs (MUCH tastier than it sounds)...seriously, it was disgusting how much food we all packed away, and it only cost us around $15. I also bypassed a fork in lieu of using chopsticks. Go me.
2. I saw a cat at the Hasedera Temple that made me miss George and Oscar. I stuck around to pet him for a while. Cute cat, pretty fat, and became quite popular after people started to notice that he was there. That cat knew what he was doing.
3. After making it back to the hotel around 6 or so, I finished packing the suitcase that I was leaving in Tokyo. Seems that packing is becoming a serious issue. I'm pulling a Scarlett O'Hara on this one and will think about how I am going to get everything home tomorrow.
4. Finally went to a conveyor belt sushi place. It wasn't that good. Surprising? Not really...sushi is prepared and stuck on plates, and then it rotates on a belt throughout the restaurant. You take what you want, and you pay according to the color of your plates that you have when you are finished. I spent around $5. Not bad!

5 comments:

MOM said...

What is Pocari? And, is it actually sweat?

The kids are fine and they miss you. Clayton was playing his cell phone music to bring George out, but she's not into his kind of music. Needless to say, they stayed well hidden under the bed.

Was beginning to think you had been nabbed. Didn't hear from you for a while.

Have fun and keep up the good work!

Mickster said...

I have no idea what it is! It isn't sweat, but it is good!!
I didn't want to pay for an extra day of internet in Tokyo, so I didn't post one day. I have free internet right now and should for the rest of the week!

jhauswal said...

I'd love to see pictures of the sushi coming around on a "belt". Sounds like taking an American buffet and making it worse. I love the pictures of the children and the description of the ancient capitol you visited. Finally, I'd be remiss to not mention that in the other Saturday info under item 1 you used a helping verb and thus it should have been "eaten" rather than "ate"; since you've been out of the country for a while, you are forgiven! Take care and safe travels.

-- Roasted Bean said...

Hot tea, bottle of sweat, a fat cat, pigeon cookies, conveyor belt food, the Daibutsu, birthday kids in dress, and leaving on a midnight train to Tokyo... Wow! You can't just make that stuff up!

I'm agreeing with the students.. this needs to be a movie! Curious about the tea cup tho.. did it look handmade ?

Signed,
Envious

Mickster said...

The tea cups were definitely not mass-produced. They were nice and heavy, and take my word for , held heat very well. It was actually painful to have that picture taken.