Saturday, September 20, 2008

21 more days!!!

I can't believe it...three more weeks! Now that the trip is just around the corner, I am starting to get a little nervous...not in a bad way though! I am afraid I won't be able to do all of the things that I want to do, and that I will try to squeeze too much into the trip and not truly enjoy what I am doing and experiencing.

People on the Ning site keep coming up with fantastic ideas! I worry though that we will end up in these huge groups and be conspicuous as we move around Tokyo. I guess just play it by ear, right?? Someone this week brought up the idea of visiting the sumo stables (seriously, that's actually what they are called!) early one morning. The wrestlers practice in the morning, so that would be interesting! Not sure how badly I want to watch that, but it would be interesting!!!

Still trying to work on a time to get my geisha portraits done...I think that may have to wait for the last week in Tokyo. The last appointment that they take is at 4:00, so I need to find a day when we get out earlier in order to get that accomplished. I think that would be a hilarious thing to do! Hopefully, it will work out!

I am trying to get all of my lesson plans done for when I am gone, and was thrown a serious curve ball when we missed three days because of Ike (still unbelievable). I think I was able to get everything figured out, and now just need to start making copies and getting class notes written out.

I've packed my backpack, so I am ready to go as far as that is concerned. I need to contact the bank about purchasing some yen before I leave. I also need to do a few practice packing runs, and I need to make sure that my suitcase doesn't go over that very crucial 50-pound limit! The only thing that I really need to find at this point is a sweater...still searching for one! I also need to get a sleeve for my laptop...afraid of it getting banged around in transit. I also need to make sure that I have all of my gifts for my host family in line, and get things to wrap them. I suppose I could pick that kind of stuff up in Japan, but I would rather not worry about that when I am there!

Also, fantastic news! The internet connection at my hotel in Sanyo-Onoda and at the ryokan (traditional Japanese inn...we're talking sliding screens, tatami mats, and futons) is free...as long as you are in a room that has been equipped with it! Corss your fingers!

No comments: