Thursday, June 19, 2008

Micky's Meishi

I have been stressing about my meishi. Meishi are business cards, and they are extremely important in Japanese society. I am sure that I will post more about meishi etiquette when I get to San Francisco (apparently, there is a presentation on meishi alone!), but I have been stressing about them for one very specific reason.

One side must be in English. That's easy. The other side? Must be in Japanese.

HOW IN THE WORLD AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN???

So, I started doing some research. There are companies on the Net who will more than gladly translate them and print them for me...all for the bargain basement price of $150. Please. They're cards. I don't care how important they are, I am not forking out that kind of money.

On a lark, I decided to write Keiko Kurabawa, the professor of Japanese language at Indiana University Southeast. She has graciously agreed to meet with me on Monday to translate my English info into Japanese. Thank goodness! I was concerned that I would use an online translator service and my name would come back translated as "Stupid White Woman" and I wouldn't know it! I'll update the card process later. Just had to post my sigh of relief!

No comments: