Friday, April 4, 2008

In the last week....

it seems that I have become obsessed with all things Japanese. This really shouldn't come as a surprise to most people, because once I get excited about something, I generally don't let up until the obsession has run its course! And as I don't leave for another 190 days or so (but who's counting?), I can't imagine that this is going to let up anytime soon!

Obviously, I am running through all kinds of emotions, with most of the them running the gamut of super-happy-exhilarated to well, super-happy-exhilarated. Those of you who know how I love to make lists will be pleased to know that I have already started formulating packing lists (actually, you should know that from last time...but those lists have grown a LOT). Of course, of course, these lists will change substantially as time moves along, but traveling is a favorite thing of mine. Making a packing list helps move the trip into reality.

Of course, I also had to go out and buy some books about Japan as well! That shouldn't come as much of a shock! Who knows how many books will be added to the collection by the time October rolls around, but so far I have accumulated:

Culture Smart! Japan (covers customs and etiquette)
Insight Guides: Japan (published by the Discovery Channel...great pictures and info)
Insight Guides: Tokyo (see above)

I also picked up a series of CDs to learn Japanese in my car (I am sure I will get a lot accomplished every day during my two-mile commute) and a book on the Japanese language.

Of course, I am getting around to telling everyone I know about the trip, whether they want to hear it or not! And as such, I would like to take this opportunity to tell Sam and Phaedra that I am REALLY REALLY REALLY sorry that I won't be able to make it to your wedding in October! The program won't let me fly back for one day! But I promise to bring you back a fantastic wedding present (and I promise it won't be something from the 100-yen store!).

Next steps for me:
1. Start learning Japanese phrases
2. Write up professional leave forms soon
3. Present awarding of grant to the school board and beg them for the days off in October!
4. Make more packing lists!!!
5. Work on polishing my less-than-stellar chopsticks skills.

No comments: